Toll Free: 1-800-310-4447

Doing Business At Home


Are you running a side non-farming business from your home?  With this new trend comes some questions? 

If the personal computer in your home office is used for business purposes, is damage to it covered by your farm homeowner’s insurance?

If a client trips and breaks an ankle on the stairs to your home/office, does the liability insurance on your homeowner’s policy cover the accident or do you need to extend your liability insurance to business use?

Know Your Needs:

Of course, the amount of risk you are exposed to will differ with the type of business you operate.  Some of the most common risks your business may face are:

  • professional liability (negligence or malpractice)
  • general liability (i.e. Client trips on your stairs)
  • product liability (your product causes injury)
  •  theft of or damage to property

Generally, business related coverage could be added to your existing homeowner’s policy.

So before you embark on your new business venture or if you are currently running one, make it your business to get the proper insurance!    Today’s farmers should purchase insurance from people who know farming. Farming should be viewed as a business, and you should seek advice from people who understand your business.